Thursday, May 3, 2007

Making Mary's Month


Every year I commit to making Mary's month a special, prayerful time. It is, after all, such a wonderful opportunity to tie our children's heartstrings to the mother of God. And who is a better, more worthy model for this scattered homeschooling mom?

But every year, I find myself behind the 8 ball; finishing the school year, baseball, spring recital...somehow the time for planning and carrying out my plans slips away.

Well, this fine spring morning reminds me that Mary loves us dearly. She does not hold the rod of discipline or disapproval. Remember the first little weedy, little bouquet given by your child, roots swinging beneath grubby fingers? Didn't your heart melt? Our Lady loves us even more. Whatever gift we give is lovingly accepted as it is.

So this year, I am resolving to not be perfect, just loving. We have put up a sweet little May altar, we're playing "Bring Flowers of the Fairest" and the Ave Maria and lighting a few candles. And asking for the grace to love.

Happy May. Happy Spring.

2 comments:

Svetlana said...

Doesn't spring make you want to build a grotto?

Sarah Jane said...

YES! Especially after 6 months of winter. I envision the old European enclosed type, with a rock enclosure, candles, etc.